Article written by Faye De Lanty.
As a self-confessed op shop obsessed, I know the spoils second-hand havens like thrift stores can provide.
My job as an eco-stylist is all about showing people just how pretty preloved can be, so I’m constantly searching for recycled items to emulate the current trends and if I do say so myself, I’ve gotten quite savvy at it. What is a recent discovery is that you can get your sustainable style fix online and find designer pieces for a dime on Gumtree.
So excited in fact that I decided to set myself a challenge of restocking my wardrobe with eco-friendly finds from here and boy did I hit the jackpot.
Here’s a peek at what I picked, how much it cost me and why it was a clear must have for my closet.
A DVF wrap dress is a fashion icon in itself. This item flatters so many body shapes and as soon as you put it on you have effortless instant style. I honestly felt like marrying myself when I found this! The dress is super comfy and I feel so chic and put together when I wear it. Great with heels like I’m wearing here but also just as lovely with strappy sandals for a slinky resort vibe.
Woodford & Co Military cropped top $40 – RRP $400
Scour the latest looks from Tommy Hilfiger and Burberry and you will spy a definite military style in their collections. Gigi Hadid even did a collab with Tommy Hilfiger to honor the aesthetic. Made popular in the 60’s and 70’s by rock gods like Hendrix and the Beatles, a military coat like this will always be cool, especially when teamed with jeans and a tee.
Summer is here and sometimes it’s honestly too hot to think about how to be chic. Enter the magical maxi dress.
It’s easy and breezy but beautifully stylish and elegant.
Slip it on, add a sandal and you’re good to go.
Style Note: It’s also totally great in winter with an ankle boot and leather bomber.
Another timeless item that is an absolute essential to have in your tool kit is a black tux or suit jacket.
I really needed a new one so I was delighted to find this butter soft offering for $30. A jacket like this will give you instant style cred even with a little white sneaker and shorts. I love the contrast of teaming it with one of my all time favorite vintage tees I found in Tokyo.
Also for those inspired, here are my top 5 tips for Gumtree shopping success…you’re welcome sister;)
Find a dress for your next occasion from the list of designers below:
My Top 5 Tips for Gumtree Shopping success
- Search by brands. Be guided by the labels you really love and search via their names to narrow things down.
- Treat online shopping like a normal in-person shopping experience, look for classic items that will give you a great cost per wear ratio. Don’t just buy a bunch of stuff because it’s inexpensive.
- Have a tape measure handy. Measuring yourself is a fantastic way to get clear on how the item will fit you and makes the process so much easier.
- Connect with the seller and ask questions. I found the Gumtree community so incredibly helpful, everyone was totally open to guiding me through the shopping experience, some local sellers even hand delivered the items to me!
- Look closer – If you like an item a particular seller has, click on their profile and look at what else they are selling. If they have some killer Sass&Bide pieces, chances are they could have some other great items up for grabs. Taking a while to hear from them? Click on their profile, most sellers have their mobile listed so send them a text for a quicker response.
This experience with Gumtree has converted me to online sustainable shopping for good.
It’s a wonderful way to save money and give mother nature a great big hug while you’re at it.
And P.S. you never have to sacrifice style
For more on Fashion Hound’s style, follow her on Instagram: @fayedelanty