Expecting a baby? Congratulations! It’s such an exciting and happy time! But preparing for your new arrival can also be pretty daunting. Trying to figure out everything you’ll need to get is tricky enough, but then discovering there are more baby products than you ever thought possible can make your head spin!
There are tonnes of new parents looking for baby gear on Gumtree, so we’ve developed short blog series to help you prepare. This week we’ve pulled together a list of nursery essentials – just a few of the basics you’ll want to have ready before you bring your little one home.
Your teeny baby is going to grow in no time! So there’s really no need to buy too many newborn clothes. In the beginning you’re just going to want simple clothes like singlets, all-in-one jumpsuits, jumpers/cardigans and socks. When choosing your new baby’s clothes, look for things that are:
• Comfortable – Elaborate outfits are great for photos, but you really just want your little one to be comfy. Don’t forget they’ll be sleeping most of the time, so if they can’t sleep in it, it’s probably not worth buying
• Easy to remove – You’ll be changing your baby a lot. Like really, a lot! And babies don’t generally like to be changed, so you’ll want clothes that are easy to get on and off. Look for wide neck holes, things that button or zip down the front (rather than the back), and bottom-only access so you can change nappies without removing the whole outfit
As long as you have the space for it, you can put a newborn straight into a cot, saving you money on a bassinet (plus all the bassinet sized bedding that goes with it!). When buying a cot, look for one with an adjustable base that can be raised up, making it easier to pick up your baby without bending over too far. You’ll also need a cot mattress, sheets, blankets and a couple of mattress protectors. Just remember, when setting up your baby’s bed, make sure to follow the safe sleeping guidelines.
Play time and other bits
From very early on your baby will enjoy spending time playing on the floor. While not essential, it’s nice to have a play mat or play gym with toys that dangle from above – your baby will love reaching up and hitting them!
Other key items you’ll need before baby arrives include nappies, wipes, cotton tips, bath towels, flannels, drawers for storage and a good thermometer. Most other things you can buy at a later stage.
Baby on a budget: things you don’t need
If you’re on a budget, you’ll want to avoid buying too many things. Which is fine because you really don’t need to go overboard. Here are just some examples of items you could probably live without:
• Change table – A change table isn’t necessary as you can just as easily change your baby on the bed or floor
• Baby bath – Depending on what you have available, some people opt to bath their baby in the sink instead
• Mobile – Mobiles are lovely decorations but really not essential. Your baby will still go to sleep without one
• Baby monitor – Particularly if you live in an apartment, you’re likely to hear every peep without a monitor!
Have we forgotten anything? We’d love to hear your tips for essential nursery items in the comments section. And don’t forget to check back in next week for part two of our Gumtree baby series; getting out and about. We’ll look at prams, car seats and top tips for travelling with baby.