Gumtree’s Safety Guidelines
At Gumtree we want to make sure all our users have a safe, successful and hassle-free experience. Whether you’re buying or selling, make sure you follow our safety guidelines.
1. When buying or selling, you should always meet in-person to see the item and exchange money. If possible, take a friend or family member with you, or make sure there is someone else at your home or workplace.
2. Never send money to anyone you don’t know. Gumtree does not allow users to transfer money via the website, and advocates face-to-face transactions. This includes mailing a cheque or using payment services like Bidpay, Western Union or Money Gram to pay for items found on Gumtree.
3. If you receive an SMS message requesting you reply via email please ignore it! This is most likely an attempted fraud. You should only trade with local buyers you can meet in person.
4. Gumtree doesn’t offer any sort of buyer protection or payment programs. Any emails you receive that talk about such systems should be ignored, even if they may have the Gumtree logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please report it to us.
5. Always use common sense – If it looks too good to be true it probably is!
If you see any ad you are concerned about please report it to us by using the ‘Report Ad’ function, which is clearly displayed on every ad published on the website.