For some it’s a sacred day of the year when spirits roam the earth, but for most of us, Halloween is just a good excuse to get dressed up and throw a party! You may even spot a few kids out trick or treating, but for the majority of Aussies who celebrate Halloween, it’s all about the costume.
But don’t worry, getting an awesomely spooky costume doesn’t have to break the bank. There are loads of ways you can pull together a fantastic outfit without buying something new. And if you don’t already have what need, Gumtree can help you create the perfect Halloween costume.
Top tips for DIY Halloween costumes
Some of the best Halloween outfits are the ones you make yourself. If you’re looking to make a DIY Halloween costume on a budget, here are a few tips to remember:
- Use your own clothes – You probably already have everything you need tucked away in your closet. Everyday clothes can easily be transformed into creepy looking costumes. But if you want to make your outfit dirty or bloody, it might be best to get some cheap second hand clothes you won’t mind ruining.
- Accessories – Sometimes a costume is all about the accessories. Pair a plain black dress with long white gloves and a white necklace and you’re Audrey Hepburn. Take the same black dress and add a long cross necklace with black lipstick and you’re Morticia Addams. Basic accessories are all you need to transform everyday clothes into dress-ups.
- Keep it simple – You don’t need to be a sewing machine wiz to do Halloween DIY. Some fabric paint, a glue gun – or even staples – are about all you’ll ever need to get your costume sorted.
DIY costume ideas
When it comes to Halloween DIY you’re only limited by your imagination. And you won’t need a lot of prep time, you can easily whip up a standout Halloween costume in less than an hour. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Ange’s wedding dress – When Brangelina got married this year, that dress was all anyone could talk about. And replicating Ange’s wedding dress couldn’t be easier! All you need is a long white dress you’ll never wear again and a bunch of Textas to draw all over the back of it (give this job to your kids if you have them).
- 50 shades of grey – This controversial book series and movie couldn’t make an easier costume. Simply get a whole bunch of grey paint samples and stick them to whatever you feel like wearing that day … and you’re done.
- Jellyfish – All you need to make a jellyfish is a white or grey umbrella, matching lengths of fabric for stingers and similar coloured clothes. Sew or staple the stingers all the way around your umbrella, lift it over your head and Viola, you’re a jellyfish.
- Zombie – A classic Halloween outfit and a great one for using unwanted or second-hand clothes. Simply cut or tear holes in your clothes, go outside and rub them in the dirt, then smear some fake blood on them. Finish off with some ghoulish face paint and suddenly you’re a brain-eating zombie.
- Zoolander – To pull off ‘Blue Steel’ it’s all about the attitude. For the costume side of things, a simple shirt and jeans will do, then add a patterned headband, eyeliner, and purple or blue lipstick. Oh, and you’ll need to pout all night and remind people that you’re really, really, ridiculously good looking.
Of course, if you’re averse to even the smallest amount of arts and crafts and prefer your costumes ready-made, you can find plenty of Halloween costumes and props ready-to-go on Gumtree. But if you’re up for a bit of DIY, all you’ll need for an impressive, low budget Halloween costume is some second-hand clothes, a few cheap accessories and a wild imagination.
Looking for a Halloween costume? See how we can help: http://bit.ly/1wFsTRD