Adding pizazz to your outdoor area with a rug is simple. Whether you have a large backyard or a small patio, an outdoor rug can add a touch of colour to the space. The right rug can impress your guests with a trendy and classy look—or a more casual style if you prefer to keep it homey.
Choose the right outdoor rug material
Here are some popular types of outdoor rugs in Australia:
- Picnic rug A large square rug that is easy to fold up and store. Often made of waterproof materials, picnic rugs are a versatile and practical option that can be used in your home as well as at the local park. Great for creating a picnic party atmosphere for kids and adults of all ages!
- Jute rug These rugs are a woven design, often large and rectangular, but can be round, square or oblong as well. They are created from natural plant fibre—a better choice for the environment—and come in neutral tones. Jute rugs are an ideal choice if you’re looking for a natural look or want to create a feeling of peace and tranquillity.
- Wool rugs These are cosy under your feet, absorb moisture and are well-suited to cooler climates. Wool rugs are not only low maintenance, they are also more eco-friendly than synthetic materials when it comes to production and disposal. There are plenty of styles available: Make a statement with a beautiful Persian rug or keep it local with a New Zealand wool rug.
Find the right rug to match your outdoor style
The type of outdoor rug you choose and where you place it will have a big impact on the look of your outdoor entertainment area. When selecting a rug it helps to consider what décor you already have and whether you are planning on revamping other items such as ornaments and outdoor pot plants.
Here are a few ideas for inspiration:
- Do you have a lot of parties, or perhaps an outdoor pool table? Rugs in bold, bright colours can give your entertainment area a great bohemian look. Match with some bright flowers pots and a colourful outdoor sofa.
- A small rug with two chairs could be the right fit for an evening drink under a pergola.
- Little soft rugs will be a hit with pets if you have them. Be warned—you may have a hard time getting them to move from it!
- Give your covered TV area a modern look with a neutrally toned oval rug.
- Small square rugs placed by your barbeque area can add areas of interest to an otherwise plain area.
If you’re struggling to choose between décor styles, you can always mix and match!
A rug or two could add a fun twist to your outdoor entertainment area. There are lots of great outdoor rugs for sale on Gumtree Australia.